The Mount Harmon Plantation began in 1651 as a land grant of 350 acres to Godfrey Harmon by Caecilius Calvert, the second Lord Baltimore who was then owner of all of "Maryland". Mount Harmon was a typical frontier plantation of colonial times. It was an isolated and self-sufficient economic unit producing tobacco which was shipped directly to England. In exchange, it received many of its necessities and luxuries. As the forests were cleared and cultivated areas increased Mount Harmon prospered. During the 19th century the farming gradually declined and its acreage diminished.
The manor house at Mount Harmon is a three-story brick structure built about 1730. It stands on a knoll virtually surrounded by Back Creek and McGill Creek. On early maps the area was known as "World's End". The house is an excellent example of Georgian architecture. A thorough restoration was carried out in the 1960's and the house has been furnished with American, English, Irish and Scottish antiques of the 1760 to 1810 period. There are guided tours of the house, kitchen (of course, a separate building), boxwood gardens, tobacco Prize house, and the wharf. In addition, there are nature trails for you to enjoy.
Mount Harmon is open for public tours Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM and on Sundays from 1:00 to 4:00 PM during the Summer months from April 1 to October 31 and is open at other times for special tours and events. For more information, telephone 410-275-8819 or write: Tour Program, Mount Harmon Plantation, P.O. Box 65, Earleville, MD 21919.